Grace Communion Indy
We at Grace Communion Indy believe that life and faith are not two separate categories. Faith informs and transforms all aspects of who we are; our lives are meant to be faith-infused, faith-invaded, faith-haunted. One of the ways that God works faith through our lives is in the life-on-life community of the church, and it is here we find our vision.
Our Mission, Vision, and Values
Love Jesus, Love Others.
To be known as a loving community that understands and lives the message of Christ.
We emphasize the gift and practice of prayer. We believe that prayer is direct communication with God that changes not only our circumstances, but our hearts. Prayer is to be practiced individually and corporately, and to have an obvious, central place in our gatherings as a community. Growth in one’s prayer life should be a tangible outcome of membership.
- Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
- Luke 6:12 “It was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God.”
We emphasize encouraging those who need hope in a broken world. As we live the gospel, we speak the gospel—both to each other and outside our fellowship. We believe that Christ is the ultimate and only hope, and seek to point the world back to His all sufficient care.
- Ephesians 5:18-19 “Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord…”
- Colossians 3:16 “Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom…”
- Matthew 19:26 “And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
We emphasize the celebratory family of God’s people, seeing our relationships as a pre-cursor of eternal life together. We meet regularly to discuss scripture, share meals, and deepen our relationships with God and each other.
- Hebrews 10:24-25 “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
- John 13:35 “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
We emphasize worship as central to our life as a community. Fellowship, outreach, evangelism and other parts of church life should be expressions of worship. Church, and all of life, should begin from the sanctuary of thanks and praise.
- Psalm 27:4 “I’m asking God for one thing, only one thing:To live with him in his house my whole life long. I’ll contemplate his beauty; I’ll study at his feet.”
- Philippians 2:9-11 “Therefore God has highly exalted him [Jesus] and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
- Matthew 28:9-10 “Suddenly Jesus met them. “Greetings,” he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid.’”
We emphasize the scriptures as the word of God, authoritative in all matters of faith and life. Study of the scripture, individually and corporately, deepens our transformative relationship with God.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
- Psalm 119:11 “Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You.”
We emphasize the making and growing of disciples of Christ. Every believer should be equipped to verbally share the gospel clearly and compassionately when they are lead to by the Holy Spirit. Spiritual growth, release from sin, and clarity of God’s will for you should be evident in each member’s life.
- 1 Peter 3:15 “But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…”
- Matthew 28:19 “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
We emphasize obedience in all matters of life to be fruit of genuine faith. A right relationship with God results in a transformed life, from abstract ideals to daily decisions. Obedience to Christ should be first priority in the life of every believer.
- John 14:23 “Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.”
- James 1:22-24 “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.”